Wednesday, July 8, 2009

short update

Well, I have not got much of an update at this point. It is interesting to me at least, that in a search for new information I could pass on out here, a search in Google brought up my own blog entries a number of times.

I had been doing pretty well recently as far as staying pain free. That ended last night with a sneeze. This was noteworthy because it popped my left shoulder in the area of my scapula. I do have slight winging on that side, so I am increasingly nervous about any new pain related to my left side in that area. Of course, no good sneeze anymore only jerks one part of my body. For the rest of the night, my neck and upper shoulders on both sides were very sore. I am not suggesting the sneeze as a cause of any ongoing problem, but it sure shows how something so simple can irritate an existing weakness.

Long before I noticed any problem with my right shoulder, I remember waking up on my right side in time to notice a POP in my shoulder that was followed by a noticeable settling. So, who knows? Maybe a sneeze could be the final thing that starts a new attack. I mean, I had been sleeping on my right side like that as long as I can remember, and have had no trouble. But with a slightly weakened shoulder, that pop could have been the start of that attack for me. Sites seem to suggest that exercise can bring on an attack. Maybe something as innocuous as a sneeze or simply sleeping could do it also.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot forget the day, more than six years ago, when I was standing in the kitchen and I sneezed. Of course, sneezing is ordinary in itself. With that one particular sneeze, I felt and heard a chrunching sound in my lower back unlike anything before. It was the moment in time I could pinpoint a drastic change. Immediate nerve pain set in, brought me down in every way imaginable.

    The Dr.s were clueless as to what was causing all the pain I was in. Test after test showing nerve damage without a cause. Dr.s were not sure how to treat this new problem. I was in pain constantly, every movement, every movement. I sought out different Dr.s trying to find one that could help me.

    I was in crisis. I say that because the pain was so terrible and unrelenting that I wanted to take my own life. Even as I sit here writing this, I know that that was not my nature. I am a fighter, I am a seeker, I have so much to live for.

    After 6 months or so, I was able to find a Dr. willing to do a surgery on my lumbar/sacral area called decompression. When I woke from surgery, the pain was completely gone on the left side from hip to toe. Amazing. But I was completely paralyzed on my right side from hip to toe. Dr. started iv steroids and within the first 24 hours I was getting some feeling back. With the feelings returning, nerve pain was now on the right side, hip to toe.

    I didn't suffer any great muslce loss, but a lot of damage to fibers. It has been a very long and difficult road to walk. I have suffered many set backs in recovery over the years.

    Today, life is good. I have a better understanding of this disorder called HNA. I continue to recover everyday. I am more determined than ever to be well. And I thank you, RBWALTON, for this blog, for your sharing and putting it out there so others may find some hope and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tina

    I just wanted to thank you for your comments. It is good to know what I am doing is helping someone. Your additions to the blog are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete