Sunday, May 13, 2012

Health related rant about prescription prices being higher at Wal-Mart than Costco or supermarket pharmacy


I have been getting my prescription for my eyes filled at our local Costco recently.  Their price and the price at a grocery store pharmacy usually runs between $11- $12 for a 30 day supply.  This is their every day price before any insurance, and is for newly available generic version of the medication that had run closer to $100 per bottle in the non-generic.

I had been thinking about switching to Wal-Mart, since my new insurance will be through Humana with a Wal-Mart partnership, and certainly as a Humana member I should expect good prices at Wal-Mart.   I asked, and the price of the same medication at Wal-Mart runs about $60.  I asked- are you sure that is the generic?  Yep.  How much for the non-generic? - Around $102 or so.  (It may have been more.  I was in shock.)   If you have insurance, this is what you would pay until you met your deductable, and then there would be a discount price depending on your plan.  OK, any idea why I can go to at least two other pharmacies in town and get the same thing for $12 or less without having met my deductable?   Nope.  The prices are what the prices are.

Yes they are.   It definitely pays to shop around, insurance or not.  Maybe she was wrong.  I would think though that noticing my reaction to the high price that she had double checked at least that much.  Definitely a rip-off.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to see a blog about this. My alomst 11 year old has HNA. He was diagnosed when he was four. Not a lot of information out there about this. My son's form is the genetic type. He mutated the gene, none of his family has it. Thanks for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about you son. I can not imagine going through HNA starting that young. I think I probably have had it all my life. But I was lucky that I did not have a major attack until tweve years or so ago. It can be rough.

    ReplyDelete