Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sometimes a nodule is just a nodule- back to HNA/PTS discussions


After a biopsy (close to $3,000) which was inconclusive, and a CT scan at around $950.00, it has come to light that the nodule in my thyroid is benign.  Both of these tests, plus around $800 for blood work, are things my old insurance would have not helped much as far as payment- and as such, I would have declined them.  At least now, I can know for sure it is OK to not do anything right away and to monitor the growth over time, for unwanted or unexplained growth.

So for now, I can get back to concentrating on the HNA question. I think it is really a done deal as far as the hereditary part of the NA.  I have clearly had another attack at the end of last summer concentrated to right shoulder as far as worst symptoms go.  This was alluded to in recent posts, and right now is better overall as far as pain goes, but still I have lingering pain in right shoulder, and have to at times use left arm to support the right in daily use.  It was/is clearly nerve related pain, responding to prednisone long term, but not even touched by any amount of ibuprofen. Sleep is an issue again.  Any time on my right side results in pain that wakes me up.

Weakness continues, but it is not quite as bad as it can be.  I really can not even think of trying push-ups until my right arm recovers a bit. Also with this new attack, I am having a bit of vertigo and nystigmus at times. In the past I also went through a short period of this, and it passed eventually.  This time, it is a bit worse and the lengths of time of the "spells" seems to be longer. It makes me wonder again about other possible issues, but I also know that HNA can produce periods of vertigo. And I know that others with HNA have reported dizziness at times.  I will just have to be more careful until it gets better.


No comments:

Post a Comment