Monday, October 26, 2009

29 gifts in 29 days

I normally would not suggest something like this link unless I had read at least some of the book that the person has written. But, I liked the points she brought up earlier on the Today Show. Here is that link

(http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/33478623#33478623)

In a nutshell, Cami Walker is a young woman who was diagnosed with MS shortly after getting married. Her disease symptoms progressed quickly. She was losing her eye site, had problems walking, and was in such pain she was having problems with the basics of her life. Her Spiritual Advisor and friend told her to stop focusing on the disease and start giving to others. See more here:

http://www.29gifts.org/

According to her, when she did this, her symptoms improved. In the Today Show interview she says that there was a point that she walked away from her cane and did not even notice until later in the day. MRIs now show that the progression of her MS has stopped.

Now, I am not suggesting that I completely buy into the claims, but I am open to them. I know negativity can make things worse. It would seem that doing a small act of kindness could make things better. I do know that even though I do not have MS (at least not to my knowledge) that I have to keep reminding myself that it is harmful to identify myself with any sort of disease symptoms I may have. Too much negative focus on this sort of disease can only make it worse. Maybe she has the right idea.

You are not the disease. The disease is not you.

No comments:

Post a Comment