Wednesday, November 25, 2009

This could get complicated. . .

I went to my primary doctor last week or so, and told him about the tremor and rapid eye movement and other things that may not end up being related to HNA, since he really can’t talk about that in particular. I demonstrated the tremor, and told of the muscle strength fluctuation. I mentioned my guess at Myasthenia Gravis as being a possible cause. By now he is not surprised by my suggestions anymore. He thought it might be possible, but that the specific type of rapid eye movement may suggest something else too. He did not want to speculate. Instead he ordered a bunch of blood tests, an EMG test, and a brain MRI.

What I find that may be related is called Meniere's Disease, which can cause rapid eye movement, vertigo and balance problems. It can also cause tinnitus of at least one ear. I can see why he did not want to speculate. As much complaining as I have done previously about the ability of doctors to know what I have- there are so many things out there that I am surprised anyone ever really knows what may be going on in their body.

I have had at least one attack of vertigo, one attack of rapid eye movement and I have slight tinnitus in my left ear. I sometimes feel as if my balance is off a bit. Who knows at this point if any of this is related?

He mentioned one thing to me during my visit that could pertain to anyone trying to figure out what is happening to them. He suggested that my increased level of focus on any new symptom may or may not really be helping. As Freud eventually said about dream imagery, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Maybe in my case, all of these other things are just random passing things, and not related to any long term issues. Due to my increased sensitivity of focus, I am concentrating on things that may not really be there- or my focus is making them appear to be more than they are.

One note though, I do know that I have a brain. The MRI at least proved that. My parents would be happy to finally know that. There was a brief time when I was younger that I would have liked to have this proof. For a time they wondered if I really had a brain in my head. . . And according to the MRI Technician it was the largest one they had seen that day. I do have a rather large head. It is nice to know it is not empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment