Tuesday, May 4, 2010

When is a little magnesium too much magnesium?

Well, I am confused about this myself.

I had started off with regular magnesium and it had helped me keep the tremor and shaking under control quite a bit initially. Then it seemed like I hit a time where it was not helping. I switched to chelated magnesium and that seemed to help again. It may be that I did not really need to go to the chelated form after all. Maybe my body was just trying to tell me it needed a rest from the magnesium. I say this because a few days ago, I again started to shake and have tremors even while taking the magnesium. What the? This time I did the one thing I had not tried the first time. I stopped taking magnesium.

The first day without the magnesium supplement, the shakes diminished. And the bit of tremor I had begun to feel also went away. And the twitching (mainly felt in my fingers this time) also diminished. It has now been three days and the initial lack of symptoms has been maintained. And my strength is about the same- meaning good for this weird period of my life, but not what it was when I was way younger. Why is this? Why is the addition of magnesium a good thing and then it becomes a bad thing? This is when it would be nice to be my own doctor so I could explain the intricacies of magnesium absorption and what needs to happen to keep it balanced.

Maybe it all was a coincidence and magnesium never did help me at all. Maybe I got better on my own and it just happened that I had started taking magnesium at that time. And maybe it was coincidental that low magnesium could have accounted for a majority of the symptoms I had been having. That does seem like a bit of a stretch.

Maybe the level of magnesium in my normal daily food has increased, and the supplemental magnesium just pushed me over the edge to the point it was becoming a detriment. Too much magnesium can also cause weakness and other symptoms that I was trying to get rid of. It is complicated and I guess that is why doctors get the big bucks. Not that my doctors ever suggested magnesium could help or hurt. At the dosage I was taking, it should not have been a problem.

I go back to Myasthenia Gravis (MG). One thing that comes up on websites dealing with MG is that if you have Myasthenia Gravis you should not take magnesium supplements because the extra magnesium can make you weaker than you are already. I know that MG tends to cycle as other immune diseases can, so it may be that when MG is in its full swing, you may be more sensitive to the impact of magnesium. And when the MG has abated a bit, magnesium could help in the lessening of other symptoms.

What do I know?

Added 05/17/2010

I had been trying to use less magnesium, thinking maybe I had been taking too much of the chelated form. And I had been slowly getting worse. My pushup count was dropping to around 10 or fewer. My back was very shaky again.

Today, I doubled the dosage of the chelated magnesium, and started to feel a bit better fairly quickly. So, maybe my assumptions about increased absorption of chelated magnesium should not have lead to a conclusion that a lesser dose was needed. If I take two, I feel better and my pushup count is back up to 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment