Monday, August 16, 2010

Weakness, and tremor, and shaking. . .

From what I can see out on-line, and what I see in reports for my blog site, shaking and tremor of various kinds does happen with those of us attempting physical exercise while recovering from PTS or NA attacks. This generally is not covered specifically in sites I have seen, but there are enough general searches by my blog readers to suggest it is somewhat of a concern, and I have decided that it makes sense it would be a problem.

With PTS, you have something attacking the major nerve plexus sites in the body. If it is a big enough attack, you get the most severe symptoms everyone knows about. But, PTS/NA is not specific in the nerves it impacts. How would it determine only to attack the nerves that would lead to a winging scapula? The other nerves of the plexus sites must also be impacted, but maybe just not at the same level. It stands to reason, in my thinking anyway, that there can be ongoing weakness of the areas impacted, just as there is to the most obvious impacted areas. This weakness is caused by damage to nerves that serve other muscles through the body. If the nerves can’t fire effectively as they normally would, you have incomplete contraction of the muscle and this causes fatiguing of that muscle, leading to shaking of the larger muscles and tremor of the more fine controlling muscles of the hands and fingers.

For me, I have a recurring pattern of weakness followed by improving strength for short periods. But, the regained strength does not last. That may be normal also, depending on the way PTS is triggered for the individual. During the strong periods, I have normal strength and no tremor or shaking. As the strength wanes, the tremor and shaking returns and increases again. During this time, effective exercise is severely limited. It is hard to exercise when the muscles stop working. I may have said parts of this before, but you have to attempt to exercise once in a while to keep up on the cycles. During a strong period, exercise works and I think it is good to do it then to try to regain all you can in what may be a very short burst of normal or at least close to normal strength.

1 comment:

  1. Grandaddy would always say "We go down, we get back up, then we go down again" I sometimes wish I had ALS, because at least then you get some support.

    ReplyDelete