Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Strength update and more- or less

The last time I could do push-ups. . .

Well, that would have been towards the end of last September. Since then, I seem to have been stuck on being able to do 3-4 at any one time. At the same time, I have seen a decrease in my ability to stand for more than an hour or two without lower back and upper leg muscles feeling so weak, I have to sit.

This reminds me of a time before either of my known flares, so this goes back to maybe the 1997/98 time span. I also remember noticing my upper legs tremor a bit in that time after exertion. This has me wondering if my legs and back were early signs of NA flare at that point, since this pre-dates my hand issue by close to three years. But I also have a memory of a time in that general time period where my job had changed and I noticed a slight pain (compared to what followed a few years later) in my upper right arm. I remember noticing that arm pain and even telling my employer at the time. But the pain went away, so it never was officially part of my medical history.

I had other neck and shoulder pain episodes in my earlier days- none of which were ever reported to doctors since I had no insurance at the time, and they were not workman’s comp issues at the time either. I guess I am just wondering how and when this all really started. It may well be I have had mini-flares most of my life. All of these mini-flares have taken a toll on me since they seem to be additive in nature, and I have reached a point of diminishing returns.

My current “weak” period is at five months long, and counting. I am not sure why I bother counting it actually since there have only been three or four weeks of more or less normal strength over the last four years. I guess it is safe to say that I have recovered all from my 2006 episode that I will ever recover- and that is not saying much. At times I still feel as if I am still growing weaker as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment