Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Do not give in to it

One thing to remember with this is that you should never give in to it completely. If you feel weak, and it seems strength is never going to improve, just try again another day. Part of dealing with this is that the muscles may stop completely for a time, and ones you have left may fatigue easily. This can lead you to believe that you are destined for complete paralysis. And, if you give in to it, and stop trying, you may as well be paralyzed. I know of at least one case of what had been diagnosed as Brachial Plexus Neuritis where the individual had such pain that they stopped trying to move the impacted arm at all. Last I heard, he could not move it at all, and there was talk of amputation. I should say here that I have never met this person, and they may have other stuff going on in their life that is impacting this. And, the diagnosis I know of may not actually be correct. But, it does serve to illustrate my point, which is that you should keep trying to move, even when all logic tells you that it will not improve things.

I think that the only reason I can move the thumb and index finger of my right hand at all today, is that I never stopped moving them, or trying to move them, even though the expert doctors I had at the time told me that the only way I would regain movement would have been to have tendon transfer surgery. I know that if I had stopped moving my fingers, just outright stopped trying to use my right hand, that those doctors would have been correct. I would then have needed surgery of some kind.

When I had the more recent flare-up that lead to the winging of my right scapula, no one ever mentioned surgery as being anywhere in the future. But, they also did not tell me how profound the weakness in my arms would eventually become, or how long that would last.

My winging scapula happened in Oct of 2006. At that time, I could barely do a push-up standing against a perpendicular surface. By December, I could do 20 standard push-ups on the floor. At that point, I thought this would be a minimal impact to me. When I tried in mid January, I could only do 15. Two weeks later, I could only do 10. Next time I tried, I could not push myself off the floor at all. For the next year or so, I tried every day to do push-ups at a 45 degree angle off of a desk at work. I slowly worked up to where I could do 20 or so of those. Then suddenly, I started to feel very weak and fatigued after those attempts. My arms would just start to shake. Notice, both arms were shaking. At this point, there was no thought that this could be impacting my other arm. Gradually, my total numbers in each session dropped off just as they had initially, and finally I could not do one push-up even at 45 degrees on that desk, and my arms and/or hands were shaking at the least exertion.

Now going on 3 years into the second bout of this, I was ready to give it up. I was weak, and I felt like it would be like this forever. But a day or so ago, I tried again to do a real pushup from the floor. I could do one- for the first time in a couple of years. Today, I did 5. My lower back and shoulders are killing me. My right hand feels like it will fall off at my wrist for some reason. But, I could do some push-ups. Maybe other small returns are also possible.

6 comments:

  1. after 14 years of classic hna symptoms of the lumbar/sacral plexus in my self, 8 mons ago my 17yr son had his first severe involvement attack at the rt. bracial plexus. we are currently in process of genetic testing for hna, hereditary neuralgic amytrophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, i would like to add, thank you for your post. your description is flawless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks-
    That is one reason I am doing this; the information out there does not really tell how it is to live with this long term. Most sites just say that you get over it, and leave it at that. I just wanted to give my version of what it is to have this long term, and have it not go away as much as it tends to hang on and slowly get worse.

    Wow- 14 years: I have an idea of what your son is going through, but how is it for you at 14 years- and the less common lumbar-sacral type. That is rarer from what I can see, and from what my neurologist says. I think I have a bit of involvement there myself- just from how the muscles of my legs feel. But, the doctor says I am asymptomatic, except for my reflexes are a bit asymmetric in my legs. If you do not mind, I would be curious about how that is impacting you.

    And, I think when push comes to shove, I probably have HNA myself. It is just that if I want to know for sure, I am going to have to pay for the test myself. I have no kids, and none of my siblings had any problems like this. But, there were the odd ancestors that they think had polio back in a time that polio was rampant, and everyone was super sensitive about weird symptoms possibly being a death sentence. Neither of these ancestors died. They were just needed canes to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i did not suffer the muscle wasting that my son is currently experiencing. my experience has been severe unrenting nerve pain, which can only be described as torture, feeling electricuted is most comparable. started on right leg that lasted 2 yrs., hit left leg shortly after a 2 yr period of no pain, which lasted about 3 yr., hit right leg again immediatly after decompression surgery for left leg in lumbar/sacral area. that was 6 yrs ago. still recovering. 13 yrs total.

    i lost all support systems except for my two children through out the years, people just didn't get it. i suffered a complete nervous breakdown as a result. i wanted to give up many times. gratefull that i didn't, now i can offer some understanding and support for my son.

    currently, i am much more balanced and coping better than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. rbwalton, you can email me at spiritwingz@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete