Thursday, December 10, 2009

Finally relief for the tremors and twitches

For more information on Essential Tremor, see http://www.essentialtremorinfo.com/

For those who have been on this journey with me, I finally have some relief from the twitches and tremors that have cropped up since my NA started. I am not 100% sure that they are related to the NA, but it is a fact I did not have this before and have had it since the NA started.

Essential Tremor in itself is not life threatening, but it may depend on the cause just how much of a problem it becomes for you. It can be benign but it may also be related to things you do not want to ignore. I have never ignored mine. I have even pointed it out to doctors along the way. Most of them have noted officially in their reports that “no tremor was noted”. These guys were taking the easy way out, or they were blind, stupid or both.

Basically, this tremor is caused by some sort of underlying neuropathy that makes sets of opposing muscles start to work against each other. Normally these muscles would be able to balance the load. With essential tremor, one set gets weak in relation to the other. The muscles fight each other instead of working together. The result of that struggle is seen as tremor. The twitches may be related in a way I do not understand.

Is this a part of NA? I do not know. My Neurologist suggests that the tremor differs from NA in that NA is a peripheral in nature, and essential tremor is central. All I can say right now is that my Neurologist is not speculating as to a cause until he sees test results. Yep. I had to have another blood draw. That is three in the last 3-4 months. He did put me on Beta-blockers though so I can get some relief from the constant twitches and tremor. These have gotten worse of late. But, I have been living with them, and while I have been OK for the most part, I really notice, now that they are starting to go away- just how bad they had become. I am much better now after just a couple of days. My body feels more balanced. It is calmer than I have felt in years. When I sleep, I really sleep. It is amazing to realize just how much of a disruption to my sleep that these twitches had become. And for the first time is ages, I can hold a cup of coffee without steadying it with my other hand. I just feel that I have gotten more in control of my everyday life.

What now? I am still waiting. I know that there is no current cause in my brain- or it has not shown up yet anyway. So my life is still up in the air as far as a cause for any of this. But at least I feel more of the finer things (related to fine motor control) of my life are improving. I will spill less coffee as I wait for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment