Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I am cured. . . not

That is right. I saw my new Neurologist yesterday and today I am healthy. It is funny; I do not feel particularly different. I think that is because he chose to ignore certain things I said and focus on his machines that all predictably functioned flawlessly and told him that I had no neuromuscular problems. Everything is just fine here. No reason to ever come back to see this one. I am done.

So, what happened about the lower than normal CK blood test results? It all depends on who defines what is normal I guess. The lab that actually did the test flagged the results as lower than normal. My doctor did not even say that result was there. If I had not gone in and gotten my own copy of the results, I would never have known it existed. He would have been content to not even discuss that. But, according to him, he was only interested in that count if it was elevated. That is why he glossed over it.

What about my weakness you ask? Well, so did I. He suggested my weakness is only in my arms and it is due to my NA only. What about the crash in muscle function? It is of course because being out of shape as I am, I over did my recovery and potentially blew out the axons connected to the nerves that had regenerated to carry on new muscle return in my arms.

Well, that may fit for the arms. But it says nothing about weakness in my lower abdomen or legs. Well, if I am weak there, it is because I am out of shape, he suggests. There is no neuromuscular issue in my legs or feet. But, he did not test in my upper thigh which is the area I pointed out feels odd. And he did not test in my stomach area which is where I pointed out felt weak. When I told him I had done 10 sit ups and could not do even one ten minutes later, he suggested that I had used my weak arms to aid in the sit ups, and that was why I had trouble doing them.

Why do doctors always know you better than you know yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment