Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Regular vs. chelated Magnesium

Recently as mentioned it seems I had hit a plateau as far as how magnesium was helping me long term and that maybe I had actually started a slow decline off of that previous level. And as ever I have done in the past, I started wondering why. It occurred to me that maybe it was the type of magnesium I was taking. I was taking just a run of the mill magnesium at around 600 mg daily.

This is beneficial in the short term since I really was down on the magnesium input to my system. But, the type of magnesium at that dosage was also making my digestive system have problems that may in fact have been stopping absorption of other foods, and the magnesium I needed. Enter chelated magnesium.

It turns out that no matter how much my natural food store employees were trying to tell me I had already had chelated magnesium, they were wrong. I just had regular unadulterated elemental magnesium which has an absorption rate of no better than 4% while a chelated form can be absorbed at close to 40%. After the switch, it already seems that I feel better again. In order to be chelated, it has to have it on the label. And even though chelated forms appear to be lower in total dosage, you get more of it.

From http://www.restlesslegsyndromecure.com/cause.html which talks about restless leg syndrome. . .

“Magnesium causes relaxation of the muscles in the entire body including the legs. A lack of Magnesium causes the muscles of the legs to tense up. So the solution is to take Magnesium. Make sure to take a Magnesium that is easily absorbed. Take Magnesium Glycinate or Magnesium that is chelated (the absorption rate is 40%). Do NOT take Magnesium Oxide (the absorption rate is only 4%). Take 400 mg/day - 1000 mg/day of Magnesium being careful to spread it out over the entire day. The Magnesium may cause loose stools since it relaxes the muscles of the intestine. So if you get loose stools just cut back on the dose of Magnesium. The Magnesium will relax the muscles of the leg and reduces the urge to move your legs. Typically, health food stores have a high quality Magnesium. The common run of the mill department store magnesium is magnesium oxide and will NOT be absorbed.”

No comments:

Post a Comment