Monday, September 7, 2009

Edging the lawn- revisited

In an earlier post, I described my efforts at running a weed whacker around our lawn’s perimeter. We have a third of an acre, so this is a bit of a job. Well, lawn grows and like any yard work, if you do it one time, you have to do it again, and again. That goes well with what my last doctor said. He thought I should be doing a bit more.

Last time this job about killed me. Although I am not sure I am improving much at this point overall, this time running the whacker around the yard was not nearly so bad. Of course, it still did me in. I just had a faster recovery, and my arms did not shake nearly as badly, or for as long as they did last time. Why was that?
Since I am not sure I have really improved, I figure that my improvement with this job was more due to the fact that I learned how to do it in a way that was less demanding. This is one thing I have learned about over the last few years with NA. When you stop improving in your recovery, any improvement noted in doing tasks after that seems to come from your coping with the injury in new ways. If it bothers your arms to reach out to hold the weed whacker, hold it more in towards your upper body being sure to hold the upper arms against your body. If pulling the trigger makes you position your arm in a way that ends up hurting, use another finger to trigger it, and hold the thing differently.

Don’t get me wrong, I was still shaking at the end, but instead of having to let it drop out of my close to lifeless feeling hands, I was able to set it down. Instead of requiring a couple of hours of rest before I could think about moving again, I only rested a relative few minutes and then I could put it all away again until next time. Of course even though the aftermath of this run was an improvement over the earlier time, it did finally catch up with me later that night. Most things I do in the early part of the day do catch up with me now. And that is just one more thing with which to cope.

No comments:

Post a Comment