Friday, January 22, 2010

Magnesium Deficiency re-visited

So- I have been thinking about my tremors and twitches and weakness, etc. especially since my tremors and twitches had gone away. I had failed to mention that during the time they went away, I had increased my intake of Magnesium. A few days ago, my magnesium supplement ran out. This morning I noticed a return of the twitches, and I felt wrong inside. Now I see that it may be that the magnesium was helping. Here is a bit from the web.

Magnesium deficiency from Wikipedia See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypomagnesemia Miss-spellings are from Wikipedia.
Clinical features

“Deficiency of magnesium causes weakness, muscle cramps, cardiac arrhythmia, increased irritability of the nervous system with tremors, athetosis, jerking, nystagmus and an extensorplantar reflex. In addition, there may be confusion, disorientation, hallucinations, depression, epileptic fits, hypertension, tachycardia and tetany.”

From that list, I have my share of nystigmus, weakness, tremors, jerking- which I am taking to mean twitches, but who knows for sure? Depression also fits if sleep is disrupted as in my case- I had thought the twitches disrupted my sleep, but maybe it is just a coincidence that I did not sleep well last night, and noticed a return of the twitches. This page it also talks about magnesium deficiency blocking release of acetylcholine, which is the neurotransmitter that is also associated with Myasthenia Gravis.

“The neurological effects are:
 reducing electrical excitation
 blocking release of acetylcholine
 blocking N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) glutamate receptors, an excitatory neurotransmitter of the central nervous system.


Well, I went right down to the store and got more Magnesium supplements. I feel calmer already.

4 comments:

  1. How much magnesium do you take? I have also heard that wearing a wrist weight would help reduce tremors
    in your hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi-
      I take 835 mg a day of true chelated variety. There are more expensive types, and way cheaper ones. I recommend at least a chelated one though because less of the magnesium is passed through the digestive system as waste. Too much waste magnesium could give you digestive problems on top of everything else.

      Not sure about the weights on the wrist for tremor.

      And, I still get tremors with magnesium. But if I stop it, the tremors spread and intensify.

      Delete
    2. How long did before you saw the benefits of taking the magnesium? I've heard anywhere from 6 months to a year before you see the benefits. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. For me, I noticed results after the end of the first bottle of 60 tablets. And I was not that sure I felt a difference when taking the magnesium. But I certainly felt a difference when I let it run out before getting more.

    ReplyDelete